Thursday night Ryan actually called a friend who is also on Ross's EMS squad and asked him if it would be possible to give me some fluids. Brian was nice enough to come over and give me a liter of lactated ringers IV. Where else can you sit on your couch (or sort of sleep on your couch) while you get an IV? If we'd been in the States I would have ended up in the ER. Ryan and I were really hoping that I was just sick from being dehydrated and that getting fluids in would help me. The fluids did help that night- I was feeling a great deal better on Thursday evening.
Unfortunately, Friday morning was awful again. I made the mistake of trying to drink some water before we were supposed to catch the transport to Roseau for my doctor's appointment. Big mistake! I was so sick that we ended up having to rent a car for the one hour drive. I was so glad that Ryan was driving. I made him stop four times! The appointment itself went well, although we had to wait a long time. The doctor was very nice and reassuring, and he gave me some medicine to help with the morning sickness. He was much nicer than the doctor I see locally- Ryan says I don't have to see her again, because she talks about things she doesn't know about and scares me! I'm so glad that I have a doctor I like and trust now.
And I am SO GLAD that I can eat again. This weekend was great. I'm only taking a pill or two a day (I can take three) and have been able to eat and drink water and juice and smoothies and not feel sick at all. I ate SO much this weekend. I'd lost about 10 pounds, and I really felt like I was trying to regain all 10 pounds in one weekend. Don't worry though- I may have lost weight, but baby is still growing and happy. My pants have all become tight! It's nice that I get to eat enough to feed baby and myself now. I was nervous about meds at first, because of the risk of side effects, but the doctor reassured me that these medicines have been VERY well studied and have shown no risk. Also, it was to the point where Baby Q and I were at more risk from being so sick than from the medicines.
In the end, the good news is that I am feeling MUCH better. Yesterday was Ryan's first mini of fourth semester, and he feels that the test went pretty well. I'm so proud of him! He works SO hard, each and every day. We went out to lunch with Neil and Jen (and I ate!) and then we spent several hours at the beach and the pool. It was great to be out of the apartment, I've felt so trapped the last few weeks!
Here are some photos of me getting my IV on the couch (yes, it is the world's ugliest couch!).
The IV bag, hanging on the window... do you like my snowflakes?
Laying on our ugly couch, with a towel (tags still attached!) over my arm to help keep it warm...
No comments:
Post a Comment