Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Friday, August 14, 2009

Cake Decorating Class

While I've been down in Dominica I've been blessed to have the time to do bible studies- which I never had time for in the States! Last semester I was involved in one with several students, which was a lot of fun because it let me connect with girls I would've never known otherwise. This semester I joined a second study with a number of my friends among the spouses. We read the book "The Shack", which I highly recommend. It really brought us close and we had a lot of great conversations throughout the semester. I enjoyed both of my bible studies this past semester and look forward to continuing them next semester- although my friends who are leaving the island will be missed!

This Wednesday, while all the students were busy studying, the other spouses and I from "The Shack" study got together for some fun. Anna did a lot of cake decorating back in the States, and she was kind enough to teach us a few tricks of the trade. It was a lot of fun! We also had a wonderful surprise. Grace and Jen have been learning to sew on Grace's sewing machine this semester, and they made each of us an apron! Now we all match. Wherever we are in the world, we all have matching aprons! I really love mine, it's a great color!

We practiced decorating cupcakes with flowers (which are a bit tricky to make!) and then we each decorated a small cake. We decided to put palm trees on our cakes and make them for our hard-working husbands. It was so much fun! We really enjoyed making the cakes and spending time together. Here are a few samples of our work!

We took a photo of us pretending to eat the cakes we'd worked so hard on!

My cupcakes! The cupcake on the left is a rosebud, the one on the right is a rose. Not bad for my fist try!

Here are all the lovely ladies posing in our matching aprons! In the front, from left to right, is Jen (second semester), Monique (first semester), Grace (second semester), and Nina (first semester). In the back, again from left to right, is Emily (first semester), me (of course!), and Anna (first semester). Anna was our teacher for the night. She was a wonderful teacher. She made it so much fun, it all seemed so easy. Thank you Anna!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment