Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Friday, April 23, 2010

Nearly time to say good-bye

This is the point I've been dreading for 16 months. In three days time, Ryan and I will be leaving Dominica. I'm not even sure with where to start with this post. I'm sorry if this comes across as a bit disorganized!

Sixteen months ago, we arrived on the island hot, tired, and a bit overwhelmed. Everything here seemed a bit scary and strange and uncomfortable. We had experiences like seeing a cow be slaughtered and having a friends dog nearly die from an infection he picked up on the beach. We struggled with the difficulties of keeping in touch with people back home, and Ryan dealt with a long walk (over a mile) to class every morning.

But then we started to make friends and found a routine. I became involved in the Ross Spouses Organization and PAWS, and started to volunteer in the school once a week. Ryan found friends to study with, while I went on hikes and to the beach with new found friends.

As we got into the groove in Dominica, it really became our home. I've come to realized that Dominica is once of the most peaceful, healing, and spiritual places I've ever been. I think Ryan said it best at church last week. "Dominica has taught us the difference between just being a part of a community and creating a community." I loved the way he put it. Ryan and I have always talked about how we wanted to live in a place with a true sense of community, and we've found it here in Dominica.

It really feels like everyone knows everyone else here, and not only that, but they really care about each other. Birthdays are a massive event that everyone attends. Everyone looks out for the children in the community. People go on trips and to church together. I think it helps that so few people have cars here- we don't just meet up at places, we walk or ride together. We run into one another while we walk to the store or to campus. It's hard to be isolated here unless you spend all day in your apartment- which would get hot and boring very quickly! The people who work in the local stores all know me and we'll chat about how the day is going. People I've met only once or twice will wave at me and call me by name- and Ryan has had the same experiences. I was talking with a friend's husband the other day about what we'd miss about Dominica. I said I'd miss the people, of course, but that I'd also miss the island itself. He said he knows he'll miss the people the most, because even if you came back to visit, you wouldn't find the same people and going to the familiar places without your close friends wouldn't be the same.


Dominica is amazingly gorgeous, from its 365 rivers to its coral reefs to its volcanic peeks. We've had heartbreaks while we're here, like the loss of our cat Jolie. We've seen some tough things through our involvement in PAWS. But we've also had amazing victories and found incredibly close friendships. I'll miss girls nights out at DeChamps, and long, lazy days at the beach. I'll miss snorkeling and swimming in the ocean. I'll miss the absolutely spectacular hikes, and I'll REALLY miss the waterfalls. I'll miss the friendly people- locals and students alike. I'll miss writing for the paper and my work with PAWS. I'll miss my bible study and I know Ryan will miss his weekly men's church group. We'll miss going to church with our friends and chatting about the message afterwards.

I think my message in this post is that we've been incredibly blessed while here in Dominica. We've become closer to one another and to God. We were blessed with our first child, who we will be so happy to meet in August. Because of Dominica, we've learned to rely on ourselves and each other more than we would have in the States. We've really been shown how few material things you need in life, as long as you have one another and a strong faith in God to show you the way.

It is going to break my heart to leave on Tuesday. Since we're leaving on a cruise ship, we'll have the unique experience among students of watching Dominica slowly fade into the distance. I may be looking forward to Michigan, but my heart breaks at the thought of leaving this place which has really become home. I never thought I would love a place as much as I do Upstate New York, but I now know that Dominica has taken up a huge part of my heart. This has been our home for 16 months, and it is really hard to know that there is a chance we'll never come back. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be able to come again one day, but I know it may not happen.

Ryan and I are taking comfort in the fact that we've lived life here to the fullest. We got involved in clubs and activities. We volunteered and had a great deal of fun hosting several litters of kittens and puppies. We went on countless hikes and visited numerous beaches. We spent a lot of time snorkeling, and much more with friends. I don't feel like we wasted a moment here, and we're leaving without regrets. Think of us on Tuesday as we wave good-bye to our beautiful island and head toward our new life in Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment