Ok, so it took me the majority of the afternoon to make the dasheen. It was a pain to peel (the surface was slippery and the center was hard and it was all complicated by the gloves I had to wear) and it took forever (about 2 hours!) to come to a boil. Frying it was a pain in the but, since all it seemed to do was get sort of .... bubbly... not golden colored like the recipe promised.
But that doesn't prepare you for the finished product. I haven't tried it yet, since it's so massively unappealing and was a disappointment after that much preparation. It's kind of mushy and brownish, like rotten potatoes. Ryan says it tastes like very salty potatoes.... and I used hardly any salt! Oh well, I guess I won't be buying these things again.
Go ahead... take a BIIIIIIIIIG bite....

If anyone wants, I'll ship it up to them... it'll probably look the same when it gets there as it does now!!
And also, we wanted to make a prayer request.... a few of the dogs on the island have had a tough few days. The neighbor's dog, Ginger, went missing for a few days only to turn up with a broken leg and a large puncture wound in his hip... we think he was stolen for boar hunting poor dog. At first we thought he'd loose that leg, but it looks like he'll be able to keep it, which is good. He's being a very good patient.
Then Jester, my little beach buddy, the little crab hunter was hit by a car. He escaped with a broken leg. Thank God, because it could have been so much worse. But the good news is that he has a new home! One of the students has taken him in and she'll take him home when she leaves the island. Jester is now Snoopy, and his new mom apparently adores him. I'm so happy for him.
The big one is Peanut. Peanut belongs to one of our neighbors, and he's a great golden retriever. He's come down with some sort of bacterial infection, and he's in bad shape. He is responding well to antibiotics and he ate and drank yesterday and drank some chicken broth today which is good. He has a long way to go and his poor owners are very worried. I feel bad for them. Damon's in class worrying about him and Chellie's home taking care of Peanut and worrying. He's a very tired very uncomfortable dog right now, and he's got a long way to go.
So please... pray for quick healing for Ginger and Jester and Peanut! They're all good dogs and they all deserve to be healthy and happy again.

but or butt?...I really shouldn't be the one asking this question. prayer requests are a go. Rosie tweaked her arm leaning against my wall. Kate learns to ski part 4 comes out Thursday. Much love.
ReplyDelete